the story of growing up Scroggins

Friday, November 21, 2008

Why Daniella?

In light of the most recent hijackings, I have been asked why "Daniella" for my blogname...so I thought I'd give a little history:

The semester after I graduated Texas A&M, I was on course to student teach. Todd, I'm sorry-Coldplay, still had another year left in College Station to work on his Masters. That August I received a call from the Agricultural and Natural Resources Internship Program-something I had applied for earlier in the spring simply because they kept sending me the application. In my incense and crystals way, I filled out the application so as to leave no "omen" unaccounted for. I went through the interview process, and did not make the cut. For me, it was actually a relief. I didn't have a nagging feeling about that application anymore, and I could move on with the rest of my education. Here again, I got that call. They offered me an internship in Ruben Hinojosa's Office for the 15th District of Texas. Apparently, I had been the alternate. Without skipping a beat, Todd told me to take it.

After celebrating our First Wedding Anniversary, we packed up and Mrs. Scroggins went to Washington. As Fate would have it, there was an apartment of 3 girls that needed one more roommate. I moved in. Todd and I spent the weekend taking in the sites; Sunday I took him to the airport, and I drove "home." It was terrifying.

The roommates-my live-in family for the semester-quite the group. (You'll have to excuse the photo quality-this is pre-digital.)

That next Monday, I started the "job". I was very blonde in Congressman Hinojosa's office, and "Daniella" quickly became my nickname. It stuck. It stuck so much, that all the other interns called me by that name. Sona-the girl in red above, still calls me Daniella. It began to define a part of me that I was just beginning to know. The Independent part of me.

While I was only in Washington, D.C. for a few short months, I can say I learned volumes of information. There was so much to know about the innerworkings of our Government in Action. At the time, I was so engaged, I actually watched C-SPAN on the weekends. I know. Nerd.

It was fascinating to see how our Representatives engaged in the process-how they leaned on their staff, including their interns. I went to countless receptions, parties, dinners...Many work nights did not end until 10 or so at night after a couple of drinks with someone wanting our attention. I planned meetings with the White House Staff, and met Al Gore in the process. I drug my new roommates to Congressman Sonny Bono's office after hours so I could meet "The Babe" himself. (He was most obliging by the way.) I also learned how to rely on myself, how to handle myself, and how to speak up for myself. I always refer to this time as the time "I grew a backbone."

So, Daniella? It's part of me-It's me when I speak my mind, and talk about what truly engages me. It's me when I see injustice, and need that brought to public attention. It's me when I laugh so hard my ribs are sore for days. It's me when I love so intensely it brings tears to my eyes. It's me when my sense of adventure gets the better of me. It's me when I'm in the moment. It's just me.

And Coldplay? He's the one that gave me the nudge to find that part of me. He knew I needed a little push, so he pushed. Fate would have it no other way.

3 comments:

Harry said...

I had no idea.

I wonder when I will grow a backbone?

Bean Counter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Soña said...

Ah I love those photos -- even the weird one of me.