the story of growing up Scroggins

Monday, November 24, 2008

I've got money to spend here...

I am probably one of the few people who actually love gift certificates. Some people say they are impersonal, or they'd rather have the cash. For me, I'd probably spend the cash on groceries or taking the kids to the movies. A gift certificate, however, I actually have to go to the store and use (in theory) the money on myself-something I very rarely do.

So, you'd think when my sister gave me $100 to a very cute boutique that I'd be all over that-and I was. It just didn't work out like I'd hoped. She actually gave me the gift certificate 2 years ago to put towards some high-tone jeans I'd been wanting. I went to the aforementioned cute boutique, and tried to look cool as I gazed at the $150 price tag on the tattered t-shirts. That didn't really set my coupon-loving heart afire, but I trudged on determined to blend with the trendy world. I tried on the jeans, and they just weren't as cute on me as they were everyone else. Jeans aren't really my thing, which is very un-American, but nontheless true. In any case, since everything else in the store was a little too beautiful for me, I pocketed it and saved it for a rainy day. I felt very Pretty Woman-esque having money to spend and yet not being able to spend it. Minus that whole hooker thing of course.

Fast forward to Christmas last year, and my sister gave me ANOTHER gift certificate to add to the last one. She is determined to keep me fashionable and trendy as I work through these baby mama years. :) Gotta love her for that. I put off going back to the very beautiful intimidating store because of that previous experience, but I finally talked myself into it today. I figured I could at least get some fun costume jewelry or maybe a way cool belt out of the deal. I took my mom for back up, and headed to Dentontown to get the job done. Today was the second half of that Pretty Woman-esque moment in that I DID find some cute things, in fact one shirt was on the 75% off rack, and was a mere $70 (!!!!) I guess it was a deal, so I took it.

So, thank you Patti for the wonderful generous gift certificates. They are finally spent, and that monkey is finally off my back. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just discovered your blog. I bet Patti is looking forward to your Aggies' beatdown this Thanksgiving Day. Have a good one.

so not mother of the year said...

Can't wait to see what you bought! Looks like htey had beautiful things that I am sure looked fabulous on you! The buying mood I was in this past Sautrday - and am glad for my own pocketbook that they were closed when we went by!

Patti D said...

--dont know who Art is...but interesting. glad you FINALLY used them, i'll just remember to get you other unnessessary things from now on :-)

Bean Counter said...

I am looking forward to Texas choking down their turkey and stuffing tomorrow night. Remember we have bragging rights concerning this showdown two years running until Thursday night so triple fake Art Vandalay needs to shut his pie hole.

Patti D said...

you people, you know we're going to the national championship...it's RIGGED! hahahhhaahahahhahahahhahahah