the story of growing up Scroggins

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Aftermath

Today was surreal on so many levels. Every time I turned on the news, I was bombarded with the facts of this historic election. I relived the past 24 hours one electoral vote at a time. I watched the analysis, the speeches, and the predictions. Each time my heart twinged with excitement at all the possibilities that lie ahead.

I also felt the eggshells break beneath my feet with every step I took throughout the day. As I went through my normal day with my everyday people, I was slow to meet their gaze. At the advice of some, I avoided contact with others in order to give time a chance to heal their wounds. I browsed the blogosphere and read countless rants of the gloom and doom. A friend emailed needing a morale boost because of an oppressive work day. My kids came home asking why everyone was saying bad things about Obama. Was it true that he's never seen a bible? Are we really going to have to stop saying the Pledge of Allegiance? Is he going to get shot because he's black?

This is unacceptable.

Yesterday, Tanner came home from his kindergarten mock election a bit stressed because "17 people in his class voted for McCain, and he was the 18th person in class-the only one who voted for Obama." Last night as he walked through the living room, he did a little macho dance when he saw Obama had 200 electoral votes. "WooHoo!" My 5 year old was excited and engaged in a Presidential Election.

Madison came home from her 2nd grade mock election near tears. One of her classmates said because Obama was black that he would be shot and killed. Madison rebutted with, "Why does it matter if you're black? It only matters what is in your heart." Last night as we talked about the election results she needed affirmation that our new President would be safe. My 7 year old was compassionate and worried for her President.

Today their excitement was tarnished. I don't want to explain to my kids what a black person is. I don't want to expose them to racism and predjudice. I don't want them worrying about our new President's safety, and wishing the race had gone the other way because of that. I want Madison to continue defending her convictions. I want Tanner to continue having the courage to go against the grain. I want them to be engaged in our Society, and excited about our Country.

My parents instilled in me some core Conservative beliefs that are still engrained in the fiber of my person. My school educated me on acceptance and tolerance of beliefs that broadened the spirit of my person. My own personal experiences opened my eyes to realities that humbled the core of my person. These key elements in my journey have molded me into the person I am today. A person who respects culture, life, nature, economics, education, and compassion. A person who believes in hope, peace and change. A person who always supports her President, and unconditionally loves her Country.

This is not the time to retreat behind political platforms. This is not the time to poison our newest generation. This is not the time to lose faith in our leaders. I have always had faith in my leaders, even when my own opinions were not in alignment with theirs. As an American, I understand that I am an individual in a great collection. I understand that our leaders always put Our Country first. I also understand this historic election, but I hope we all join hands and move forward together to make that history last more than this one day-that my children remember this day as a stepping stone in a great era of their Country.

9 comments:

natalie said...

No matter how anyone voted, they cannot dispute what you said. I am amazed by the things that were said to your children. They are soooo young! I am very impressed by your children. They must have a great mom!!! =)

Anonymous said...

If only everyone could look at the world in the same light as you. It would be a much better place.

Anonymous said...

very compelling...you should elaborate on this and it can be your next bio in the Messenger

--Patti

Soña said...

Oh Daniella -- I am so sorry that the kids went through that. It's amazing what people say to their kids as if they don't realize that they are forming little hearts and minds in the process. I really am constantly amazed at your strength as a mother and I hope someday I can be as strong as you.

Anonymous said...

agreed. this one needs to be in the messenger too. well spoken.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully more and more people read your blogs and open their eyes to reality.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your post! May your children stay as sweet, innocent, determined, and involved in life as they are today.

Harry said...

I know you're doing your damnedest to unite, but agree that this needs some Messenger representation! Stir the turd, D. Stir the turd.

Unknown said...

This is a beautiful observation. Take it to the masses!!! You're gonna find a lot more people like you. :)