the story of growing up Scroggins

Monday, November 10, 2008

OOH-RA!!

As many of you know, I grew up a military brat-not just that, but a Marine Brat. There is a difference, and we Marine Brats are the most squared away. My everyday involved trips to the Base, listening to jets take off and break the sound barrier, watching MPs salute our car or my Dad, getting a Military ID, seeing men in uniform everywhere, driving by the Admiral's house, eating at the O' Club, going to Happy Hour (which I thought was a time for playing video games), moving and staying at the BOQ's, deployment, waiting in the Ready Room for dad to change out of his Flight Suit so we could go off base, looking at plaques in the Hanger, climbing on airplanes, shopping at the Commissary, watching the entire base pause while the Colors were taken down each night...

You can't grow up in that atmosphere without Patriotism being as much a part of you as breathing. While at the time I hated moving and being the "new girl", I know now how those experiences have given me strength in my adult life. I took for granted those everyday experiences, and now recall them fondly when discussing our Military or our Country.

Today is the Marine Corps Birthday. 233 years ago this segment of our Military was formed through courage and conviction. All those years have given rise to some great men who have served our Country and lived as Heroes. One of those men is my dad-so on this day, at 1100 hours, I wish him a very happy birthday. Go ahead-indulge in Happy Hour-I highly recommend the Pac-Man game. :)