the story of growing up Scroggins

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Sunshine

Before the Spring Semester began my last year at A&M, there was a huge ice storm in College Station. Campus actually closed and cancelled classes. Todd was in Dallas starting his official internship with Arthur Andersen, and I was stranded at the trailer park with my dog and cat, watching the ice pile up around me.

My rescuers, Shelly and Jared, came in their 4 wheel drive vehicle and took me out to Northgate. The Taurus wasn't going to get me very far that night, and I couldn't just stay home! We met up with D, he's so cool he can go by just D, and unsteadily made the walk up to Shadow Canyon. While getting our IDs checked (this was back in the day), I experienced my first and practically only pick-up line ever. "Is your name Sunshine? Because you light up my life." Shocked, and suppressing a bolt of laughter, I grabbed D's hand, told the boy my real name, and practically ran in the bar. The rest of the evening was filled references to my illumination. D still calls me Sunshine.

An ice storm hit Decatur on Monday.

Today at the Wal Marts here in Decatur, I ran into an old high school classmate. He caught my attention by saying, "Sunshine, you awake yet?" You can imagine that I wasn't looking my best...a little tired to say the least. My brain did one of those camera shots in movies where everything zooms in from far away-all shaky like-and then focuses close up on the person in the scene. And I laughed. It took me right back to that moment on that icy night. I chatted with this classmate for a good while, just catching up on life and wishing eachother the best.

As I walked away, I thought about the timing of this Ray of Sunshine-in a week of ice, cold, and Winter, it was a much appreciated glimmer of warmth.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

That's so funny! I remember that ice storm because we lived in the Treehouse apartments and walked down Marion Pugh to go to McDonald's. I still remember the one when we still lived in the dorm. ahhh, good times!

Chris said...

When we had ice storms in OKC during college (like 2 a year)...we could walk (slide) to McDonalds and a bar that a few us have decided we will buy when the time is right. Oh I miss hangovers due to canceled classes :)

Chris said...

At college in OKC, we had about 2 ice/snowstorms a year that would cancel class. We could walk to McDonald's and a little bar we ONLY went to when we couldn't drive. I miss hangovers due to class cancellation :)

so not mother of the year said...

What a fun memory in light of our recent weather here! I still think about your face when you saw Dominic drinking beer in the morning in a plastic cup and you were really hoping that it was apple juice! Fun times - fun times :)