the story of growing up Scroggins

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Back to Normal

Yesterday, we cleared the house of all the Christmas Clutter; it's amazing how clean and huge your house feels when all the Yuletide Cheer is put away!

I've also spent the last week or so mowing through every closet, shelf, cabinet, and drawer of this house and clearing out even more crap. I pulled 4 bags from Madison's room alone! These dern kids grow out of clothes so fast it's ridiculous! I was ruthless in the toy room-even evicting the Little People and stripping the Play Kitchen. That made me a little sad-I have a few emotional ties to some toys. The ABC blocks are still in there-OH! and the dinosaurs...I just can't say goodbye to those just yet. We have a hugemongous pile o' this crap in our attic now awaiting a nice spring day when we invite all the hooligans of Decatur over for a garage sale. We've had a few of these the last few years as we purge all our baby and kid stuff, and it always makes for an interesting day. The kids have a blast with a donut/lemonade stand, and our moms always lend a helping hand-in addition to contributing more crap for the day.

Today, Todd is taking down the Christmas lights, and I have very high hopes for the garage. It slowly morphed into a pile of boxes, crates, and piles over the holidays, and I can't walk in there without having a seizure. I try to let Todd be the boss of this space, but sometimes-just sometimes I have to be the boss of him and give him a few pointers.

The kids are "walking through the prickly forest" right now with their backpacks full of popcorn, water and a piece of candy. They'll probably be kicked outside for the rest of this beautiful day. For the moment, I'm absorbing every second of this still, quiet house-I'm afraid to breathe or I'll ruin it. I guess this would be step one of my "enjoy the moment" resolution. :)

3 comments:

Bean Counter said...

The lights are down, the flower beds are ready for spring, and you could lick a beer off the gargage floor. All while Danielle played with her new fancy camera. I deserve some rewards! Maybe a new TV!

Harry said...

I used to put everything in the attic for the garage-sale-that-never-happened. This year, I donated it ALL. Everything. It was out of my house a minute after I decided I didn't want/need it anymore. It was awesome. If I lived near you, I might have been more inspired to do the garage sale thing...as it stands, I will now give up the dream of ever actually going through with it.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.