the story of growing up Scroggins

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Brothers and Sisters


I just finished watching a little self-made DVR'd marathon of Brothers and Sisters. I love this show. I love Sally Field-when I was in 5th grade I would watch reruns of Gidget every Saturday. We lived in Mission Viejo, California then, and I thought learning to surf was the key to teenage happiness. I don't think it was-but it was a nice thought. :) Her movies always tear on my heartstrings. I've seen Steel Magnolias 1000 times, but every single time, I cry big, ugly, snotty tears when she talks about Shelby. She has a wonderful talent for making you a part of her emotions-and in this particular show, as a mother of 5 grown children, there are a lot of emotions.


I love this show because it's messy. There are 3 brothers and 2 sisters-some are republicans and some are democrats. One is gay, the rest are straight. One has a drug issue, the rest work on interventions. One joins the Military to serve in Iraq. There is a family business. There is a matriarch who grieves for her deceased husband, only to have an identity crisis every time she turns a corner in her big, beautiful house. I can easily put myself in her shoes as she finds a way to care for her grown children when they need her (ie drug overdosing or divorcing), and also works to find herself when they don't.


Imagine taking the time to find yourself.


There are family dinners that always turn hostile. You could probably predict with that many diverse people, it would be inevitable. Maybe that's the point. They might try to hide their grievance, but it always comes out in the end-it is a one hour tv drama after all. :) When it does come out-it's usually an explosion of insults. They don't hold back-spouting every negative thought that might have entered their mind on any given day. They do all this to prove a point, and then realize that the point is-family. The rest is nonsense. The edges blur and you are left with the warmth, comfort, and familiarity of those that love you despite your many (many) faults.


Tonight I cried those big, ugly, snotty tears again watching those relationships triumph through so many blunders...watching those people tell a story about family, about celebrations, about heartaches, and about love. If you really have never taken time out for this story, it's one worth watching.


You can leave the messy crying to saps like me if you need to. I've had lots of practice. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is one of my all time favorite shows :-)

--patti

natalie said...

I am with you! Steel Magnolias... I can't even tell you how many times I have seen that movie. "I realize as a woman how lucky I am. I was there when that wonderful creature drifted into my life and I was there when she drifted out. It was the most precious moment of my life." I cry every time.

As for Brothers and Sisters... I am glued to the TV from 8-10 every Sunday. Can't even wait to watch it later. (Of course I have to watch a little desperate housewives before it). I love that show. I agree with everything you are saying about it.

I was sad that Sally Field did not win the golden globe. She's Fantastic!

Harry said...

AND they almost always have an (high voice) AWESOME soundtrack.

Yeah, it's one of the best shows on teevee...at least in my little world.

Gator said...

Ditto, ditto, ditto...Love Brothers & Sisters, love Sally Field, love Steel Magnolias and love that I cry big snotty tears too! Great post...my thoughts exactly.