the story of growing up Scroggins

Monday, August 18, 2008

Hope Floats




Tonight I stumbled across Hope Floats, and just couldn't help myself. This is one of my all time favorite movies, and I know it reinforces that Inner Sap I've discussed at length, but I don't care.

The first time I saw this movie was after ascending from the great Hell most people refer to as the Grand Canyon. Todd and I had hiked 7 miles in, and 7 miles out. By the way-he left me in the Canyon, but that is neither here nor there, and we can discuss it later. We drove away from that Hell, ate dinner at Chili's, SPENT THE NIGHT IN A HOTEL, and treated ourselves to this movie. I think we were in Nevada. I cried like a little girl almost the entire movie. I'm talking snotty-can't-catch-your-breath-bawling. I'm sure my emotions were a little wacky from the recent brush with death, but I still took in each moment of this movie. Each moment that was so heart wrenching from the beginning-all the characters had so much emotion in their hearts, and so much life in their spirits. Soon after we saw this movie, Todd and I started our "real lives" with work, blah blah blah. The hustle of the daily grind tried to take some of our spirit, and we began the dream of living, working, and playing in the same town.

Now that we are here, I constantly reference this movie-I note that I have Hope Floats moments more often than not--I remember telling my sister this story just this last Christmas as we watched the Decatur Christmas Parade on the Square...I know you can just imagine. There was hot chocolate and candy canes for all. I recently posted about the oddity that is Reunion, and I relish in the daily warmth of family and friends. Small towns-they have their way...they have their way of making time slow a little, making your spirit a little lighter, and making you just a little happier to be here...

A taste of the wisdom of Hope Floats:
Childhood is what you spend the rest of your life trying to overcome. That's what momma always says. She says that beginnings are scary, endings are usually sad, but it's the middle that counts the most. Try to remember that when you find yourself at a new beginning. Just give hope a chance to float up. And it will...

1 comment:

Harry said...

YOU STINK, JUSTIN MATISE!!!

Uh, dude I OWN this movie. Jason got it for me to watch on my "own time" so I would quit hogging the tv whenever it happened to be on (all the fricking time).