the story of growing up Scroggins

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Baby in a Bar

So last week after our playgroup adventured to the Dallas Museum of Science, I met my friends Sona and Kevin for lunch. I'm never that direction..."big city" and all, so I wanted to make the most of the trip. I advised her that it needed to be "kid friendly", and preferably quick since we would be gambling with naptime.

I met her at the Angry Dog, which, I admit, was loud and there were no cloth napkins. Bonus points there. However, I was met at the door with two Suits on their way back to the office, and when I scanned the restaurant, I realized everyone else was hurriedly eating that power lunch before heading on back to the high rise they affectionately call work. The Hoodlums and I shuffled our way to a table in the back and I ordered a round of Sprites. I didn't ask for a highchair. It was a lovely meal overall; I don't remember any significant chaos, other than a random pepper shaker flying. I'm pretty sure Kevin caught it.

After the lunch crowd thinned, I let the Hoodlums wander inches from the table while we chatted. It was then that I realized what an amazing mother I truly am. Grady sat on the floor under the table to get his toy, and I freaked:

"Get up from that floor! It's dirty! This place is just like The Chicken!"

For those that don't know, The Chicken is another bar I've frequented on many occasions; there is a page dedicated to it in each of the children's baby books. So there you go...babies in bars. Guess I should write a parenting book now.

3 comments:

Soña said...

Hahahaha. Oh man. I loved that moment. But also in my defense it had plastic coverd table cloths as well as no cloth napkins. It was completely kid-approved if not appropriate. Oh! and there were even TVs on the walls. So there!

Natalie said...

The Chicken... Never heard of it.. Have I been there? Think of the immunities that he is building up.

Harry said...

Have I told you the story about when I ran into Brown's Bottle to grab some wine for this dinner party and the lady behind the cash register said (in a most Okie twang), "YOU CAN'T BRING THAT BABY IN HERE!"?

Yeah, I had Audrey with me, so what? Apparently that is so not kosher in Stillwater.