the story of growing up Scroggins

Monday, August 11, 2008

One time....at Band Camp....


This weekend I went to dinner with my "Coppell Crew" as I affectionately call them. We were plunged into working together going on ten years ago...I remember being so terrified to begin that first year teaching, and relieved that I was opening a new school-that EVERYONE was a newbie-not just me. I thought maybe noone would notice how green and shy I really was. They did.
A few took me under their wing; I still have a "growth plan" in my scrapbook from "Bulldog Teague". They succeeded in pulling me out of my shell and then subsequently conning me into sponsoring cheerleading and a host of other things. It's ok-I know I have a wingman when I need one. :) Working together was a Gift; we are now scattered throughout Texas-no longer a few steps down the hall, but our bond might just be more than the Coppell Way.




Ten years is a long time in my world-I joked once that "we wouldn't even know eachother when I turned 30". That was before digital cameras.







I turn 33 next month, and these are all digital pictures.
This weekend was no different-other than taking 3 months to get a date on the calendar! We told some old stories, and learned a few new ones. Hugs and kisses were passed around the table. Throughout the night, I watched as each one of us commented on the nature of our group. We love a good bar; we each have our favorite College team; we each tolerate the other's favorite College team; we teach; we have a certain affection for the American Pie Era; we love telling stories; we crave laughter; we respect and learn from eachother.

We are kindred spirits. After 10 years, our smiles are just as big.




3 comments:

Natalie said...

I can't believe it has been 10 years since we started teaching!! Where has the time gone? I remember the days of happy hours at least once a week. We needed to survive.

Danielle M. Scroggins said...

no kidding!! i loved that friday stop off at tia's-madison even made a few appearances toward the end...first time of a baby in a bar i guess!

Anonymous said...

ahhh, this makes me sad! --patti