the story of growing up Scroggins

Monday, August 4, 2008

The Moments in Between

Today I came home.



It was a whirlwind weekend to say the least, and I am so grateful for the time with my family. A shared hug or smile brought us together and gave us the push to inch forward.


One of those nudges was going ahead with the Irish Festival. We usually visit Ohio this weekend every year we can. We always attend the Dublin Irish Festival with all the extended family. I guess you could say it's our version of a family reunion.
There is a "wee folk area", beer, an Irish Stepdancer or two, Irish dogs, beer, vendors, beer, pubs, Irish Folk music, and stout beer. In other words, fun for all ages and those who like beer. Sometimes I like beer.


Once, when I was the DD (pregnant of course!), I had to give my dad lessons in ordering from Taco Bell-interesting when we got back to my Uncle's house with enough tacos for the entire family on the "west side" (Ohio speak for those who live 10 minutes from those on the "east side"). There are always tshirts purchased for the "wee ones"...shirts with clever, yet suitable sayings like "Patrick was a Saint...I ain't", and "I drink me milk by the pint."...I always browse the beaded jewel sections, and most people become Notre Dame fans for the day-those people that aren't arguing the subtle differences in defensive football strategies of Ohio State vs. The University of Texas. I usually duck out for a refill at that point. Aggies know when to reload!

This year was a little more subdued, but my Grandpa did manage a laugh here and there. He told a few stories, and commented on what a good turnout the festival had this year. He ate a
hot dog and although his beer of choice, Shlitz, was not served, he did have a few of those "other crappy beers" like Killian's. Go Figure.











We made plans for future trips to Ireland, and relished in some fun family history. We asked about the few that couldn't make it and hoped to see them soon. We cooed over all the babies at the festival, and agreed with Grandpa that "they grow up too fast." Mostly we allowed that push forward, and our past became part of our present.







Except this time we stopped for chicken mcnuggets instead of tacos.

1 comment:

Harry said...

At our family reunion this year my aunt Patty announced a family trip to Ireland in 2010. I suppose that so all of us po' folks can save up? Anyway, I am super excited!

Looks like a bittersweet trip for you - hope you can relax and let it all soak in for a bit.