the story of growing up Scroggins

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

a reflection on time management

Last Friday, I finished up my 6 week long term sub gig in 6th grade Science. People kept asking me if I was super pumped about my "last day", and to be honest, it just kind of came and went without fanfare or hoopla. When I told the kids it was my last day, some jaws actually dropped at how fast the time had gone. I took that as a good sign in that I provided a somewhat nice transition between teachers, and that the kids weren't counting down the days until the "crazy sub" left. :) Some were super sweet and asked me to stay-that they would even miss me, and others, well, I know they did a little happy dance to see me go. Remember, these were 6th graders. But overall, I have to say that I really enjoyed being back in my 'element' (hehe, science nerd joke), teaching my favorite things and getting to know these kids. I enjoyed the daily adult conversation, the schedule, the creativity, and the surprises of everyday. Todd even had lunch with me a few times, and the smirk on his face when he watched me teach told me I was totally back in my groove, which was also a nice feeling.

That being said, our life had its total crazy moments while Todd and I constantly coordinated our schedules to complete the endless to-do lists. Not that our life doesn't always have crazy moments-this was just a new kind of crazy. I had to learn to let go of a clean house and a made bed. We both had to learn to problem solve mealtime with an incomplete pantry. Laundry was never ending, and free time was a new kind of luxury. I missed a kindergarten field trip, rarely worked out, and cutting my hair? Impossible.

Transitioning back into "home life" these past 2 days has been interesting. It seems that no matter which hat I'm wearing, time management is my greatest weakness. Monday morning stretched endlessly before me as I made my mental to do list. I thought I had plenty of time to sit for breakfast, play a little Star Wars with Grady, watch a little Dora, take a little inventory of my flowerbeds, and take Marley on a little walk. Before I knew it, it was 11:30, Todd was headed home for lunch, and I hadn't showered or made myself presentable in any way. I realized if I had been at school, I would have already taught 4 classes. As it stood at home, I had spastically started some laundry, made a bed or two, and put away 2 of the 4 breakfast dishes. How unproductive can a person be?? Now, because of my crazy need for productivity and order, as a SAHM, I have learned to submerge myself in an array of sanity-saving plans for both me and the kids. Because of their structure, I am quite the advocate for these playgroups and other activities, but on this particular day, ADD took over. I also have to admit though, this was not the first time a day got away from me before a brush met my hair. But, snuggling and playing with Grady for the morning-also a nice feeling.

My point? I might not have one. I just know that both sides of the coin are equally frustrating and fulfilling. I see women, moms, and even dads having the working vs. staying home discussion all the time, and most of the time I see tempers flaring. I see women getting defensive and hurt; I see moms putting their collective arms around their children and desperately hoping for wisdom as they take each step deeper into motherhood. My conclusion: there is no right answer to this debate; there is only your answer, and I wish that as women and mothers we were more accepting of that fact. I wish it felt like we were all on the same side, and no matter a person's choice in hats, we all embraced motherhood, eachother, and most importantly, ourselves with acceptance, tenderness, and understanding. I suppose that's my point-there are ups and downs to so many things in this crazy world, wouldn't it be great if we all held on to eachother for the ride?

1 comment:

Harry said...

A-to the-MEN. Almost all of my friends in Stw are SAHMs, but even when I was working full-time, we always found that our similarities far outweighed our differences. For me personally, I find my SAH days much more stressful than my working days, just because I put such incredible expectations on myself. Which is a terrible thing to admit as summer is around the corner. We have already made our "Things we want to do this summer" list and it is impossibly long. Super Mom may have to be replaced by Good Enough Mom.