the story of growing up Scroggins

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Dermatologist-Stage 1

At the intense urging of my sweet husband and overprotective father, I went to the dermatologist today to have a few "irregular spots" looked over. I've had multiple moles change shape in some way over the last couple years, and most recently, a few odd, dark spots have appeared on my forehead. Being an albino, so to speak, and having multiple sunburns throughout my life, I have the history to be concerned when things just don't look "as they used to". I've also watched my dad battle the effects too much UV, and hope to avoid some of the treatments he's had to endure. After today's visit though, I'm not sure it's going to be avoidable.

I was pretty insecure sitting in the waiting room because I felt like an official over-reactor, but had promised the men in my life I would have these things checked out, so there I was. Once I was called into the examining room I explained my insecurity, peer pressure, and then exposed my spots.

That's when the lecture began.

I felt like a child in time-out for throwing a fit. She looked at my spots, took measurements, asked my my "sunburn history" (uh-every summer for the past 33 years? plus some!), and then proceeded to explain the sun damage on my arms spot for spot. She showed me the contrast in my forearm vs. underarm, and the exact amount of sun damage involved in that contrast. The entire time she was berating me about my skin and all its damage, I was cussing myself for not bathing in sunscreen since I was 3. I felt like apologizing, but all I did was shake my head in understanding.

The thing is, I'm probably one of the most anal sunscreen or hat wearin' people you might come across, but my skin betrays me. Very rarely do I intend to get any sun at all-it's almost like I'm a sun magnet, and even through applications of sunscreen my skin will burn...sizzle....cook, etc. The doc told me to apply sunscreen to my face and body everyday, and apply every two hours whether I need to or not. She also told me not to consider staying outside for more than 30 minutes without a hat. I say she told me, but really she kind of yelled at me. Nothing I could have said in my defense would have mattered. My skin gave me away.

In the end, my moles were fine, but she plans on "watching them." Anything larger than 6mm, anything that changes to an irregular shape, and any color change is worth noting from this point forward. She was not happy with the spots on my forehead, but said it was early to do any kind of treatment. She told me we could not "reverse the damage already done", but we could prevent future damage from this point forward. I felt whupped.

So, I plan on making some intense sunscreen purchases tomorrow, and lathering up hourly as directed. Hopefully, next time I will get a lollipop instead of a lecture.

2 comments:

Soña said...

I am really proud of you for going. I know it was hard, and I could tell you were upset about it, but you WILL get a lollipop next time. And now you know for the next generation of pale-skinned Scroggins' :)
p.s. I love the Neutrogeana sunscreen. Not the cheapest but it smells more like facial cream or moisturizer than sunscreen and it absorbs well. I use one for my face with Helioplex and a different one on my body. (bigger bottle)

Natalie said...

I am glad that you got everything checked out and even more glad that all is good! :)