the story of growing up Scroggins

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Mean People-revisited

Last week, in a fit of emotion, I eloquently stated that "mean people suck."  When I didn't elaborate, people emailed or called me wanting to know what terrible ordeal I had been through.

The reality is, there wasn't any huge "ordeal" that caused me to come to my epiphany, just daily encounters with everyday people that left me feeling less than warm and fuzzy.  I'm no perfectly cheery person, but I am a "pay it forward" kind of person.  I smile at people and say hi or good morning most of the time-probably a leftover from the campus "howdy" at A&M; I let people cut in line on the highway; I always give moms that sympathetic smile at WalMart when I can see they are at their wit's end.  

I think because of my "we are the world, incense and crystals" mentality, I'm constantly shocked when someone is beyond rude, beyond hateful, and just really really mean.   I suppose you could say I'm a little learning disabled in this area of instruction; Todd looks at me when I'm in a fit of hurt saying, "Really?  You haven't figured this out by now?"  No, I haven't.  And I don't want to.

Here are a few examples in no particular chronological order or level of importance:

Example #1:  WalMart checker having a look of HATE as I pull out my coupons, my reusable bags, and Grady pushes her bag holder thingie.  Really?  A-You guys sold me the bags, and B-Am I not allowed to use my coupons or have children? Yes, both are annoying, but didn't you see the wine in my basket?  The coupons help me save a little extra so I can have that extra bottle; the bags make me feel happy about not using plastic. Lighten up.

Example #2:  Coworkers.  Aren't we all on the same team?  Take a deep breath.

Example #3:  Other drivers.  The road was built for all of us.  I'm just sayin'.  Turn up the radio and relax in the few minutes of the day that you are sitting down and all the kids are tied up.

Example #4:  Moms having a look of superiority as they look upon another mom in distress. Go ahead, bask in your wonderfulness and judgement, but the minute you do, I guarantee your kid will pee his pants and cuss like a Sailor about how you haven't fed him in the last week.  Get off your high horse.

Example #5:  The anonymous comment.  If you have something to say, own it.  Or, as my "Grandpappy Old Reliable used to say" (bonus points if you know what movie that's from), "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

The end.  That's really all I have to say about that.  :)

8 comments:

Jarhead™ said...

I agree on all 5 points.

Especially #5.

There's a reason they're working at Wal-Mart.

Danielle M. Scroggins said...

what??? you agree???? with me??

i'm printing this out. :)

Natalie said...

Well said, Thank you! Can I copy it on my site? :) I am having real issues with common courtesy this week. Is it gone?

Denney Crane said...

That is all need be said about that... and well said, I might add.

Soña said...

Great post D. I linked to it on my blog, hope you don't mind. Mean people do suck.

Anonymous said...

It's from Fox and the Hound!!! :)

Danielle M. Scroggins said...

nope-not fox and the hound, but it is an "animal movie!"

Anonymous said...

I especially agree with the Wal-Mart recycle bags. They always seem so annoyed when I hand them over. And they sold me the bag in the first place! Then, they don't fill it up full!

Jenn