the story of growing up Scroggins

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Vietnam Memorial


Last week Madison's class took a walking field trip to visit the The Moving Wall Vietnam Memorial. She was excited about the "once in a lifetime opportunity", but I don't think really understood the magnitude of the Memorial. Before her field trip, we discussed what the Wall was, and why the names were engraved on it. We talked about all the soldiers who have served our Country, including my Dad, her great grandfathers, and her cousin Colin.
When her class arrived at the Wall, a Veteran gave a brief history of how this wall was "healing" to so many people who could not travel to the permenant memorial in Washington, D.C. He discussed the Vietnam Conflict, and the structure of the Wall. He noted the crosses and diamonds next to each soldier's name. He talked about the soldiers that were still lost, and how this Memorial was our only link to them. When Madison felt those crosses and diamonds on the wall with her fingers, I think the idea of sacrifice became a little real to her. I know it did for me the first time I walked this Wall.

No comments: