the story of growing up Scroggins

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Junior Achievement

I just completed my first semester volunteering with Jr. Achievement. Normally I would say no to this sort of thing, but before I said "No", I remembered one of the main reasons I longed to be back in my hometown. I wanted the opportunity to give back. Opportunity was knocking and I decided to answer the call. For some reason this always seemed difficult in the big city. Not sure why. But it just seems more meaningful when you are giving back in the community where you grew up. I was assigned to Mrs. Terrell's 2nd grade class at Carson. It included several memorable kids whose faces seemed to light up when I walked in the room every Friday morning. That alone made it worth my while. We spent five weeks learning about communities, government, jobs, production types, money, voting, etc. Luckily the topics were things I could handle and hopefully the kids learned something along the way. Friday was my last day and it was a little sad. It went by so fast. A special thanks goes out to Mrs. Terrell who kept the kids in line when I was getting run over like a freight train. She has a good "teacher" voice!

No comments: