the story of growing up Scroggins

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Today

Monday morning Stephen Blaylock was driving on HWY380, was hit by another car, and never made it home. The news spread across town, and many were saddened by his loss and the loss for his five children-especially so close to Christmas. Teachers rushed to their sides, community members set up memorial funds, and everyone prayed. Everyone is still praying.

I did not know Stephen well, but he was in our graduating class, and there is a certain bond you have with those whom shared that walk across the stage, or in our case the Decatur High School Football Field. It's not a daily bond-or even a yearly bond, but it is a lasting one. Hearing his name and the details of Monday morning overwhelmed me with sadness-as a classmate, a friend, a wife, and a mom. My heart breaks for his family, and I ache for his children.

Everyday we get up, get dressed, go to work, take the kids to school...pick the kids up, take them to soccer practice, cook dinner...everyday we go through the motions of our life. Sometimes we rejoice in those motions, or take comfort in their familiarity. Other times we are beat down by those motions-the marathon that we run each day. I've said this before, but it's times like these that I try to stop down, look around and realize I'm living my life. I'm living my life right now. Today. It sounds trite, but it's so easy to wish time away, to look for the next event, next vacation, or next thing on your to do list. It can be very difficult to cherish each minute. Each Second. Each second of daily chaos of kids, work, family, and friends.

But it can be gone in that second.

3 comments:

natalie said...

So tragic. I think I will hold my family extra close today.

Kristen said...

Well said. And doesn't it seem like these things always happen to such good people? Stephen and Laura were so devoted to their children, their church, their community.

Anonymous said...

We always wonder why these things happen! So tragic! So sad! Five children with their lives changed forever! This will affect each one of them in a different way, especially the older children. They are all very sweet kids!
It made us all go home and hold our families tighter in our hearts and arms!
We never know when our time is up!