the story of growing up Scroggins

Friday, December 19, 2008

Death and Mayhem of Local Wildlife


I am truly an animal lover and have been fortunate to not hit many animals with my vehicle in my 17 years of driving. Mostly, I have been a bird killer, it seems birds fly in front of my vehicle all of the time. I have never hit a dog or a cat. I know that would absolutely kill me. I actually stradled a skunk two nights ago to save his life. Lucky for him I am a nascar driver and he lived to talk about it.

Today as I was driving to work, three squirels came bantering across Bramlet road all at once,just as I made the turn toward 380 off of Preskitt. I feared to stop and look but decided I had to know...I was hoping none were hit as I felt I had taken pretty evasive action. I could handle one not making it, but when I opened the door to look (windows were foggy) all three had been hit and were doing what I like to call the "jerk of death". As they lay on the road squirming...dying...I could not help but wonder what they might be saying to one another. One minute they are having fun enjoying what might be the last beautiful day of Fall and the next moment dying! It really does bother me and I will think about it the rest of the day. If you pass by them over the next few days, wish them good thoughts in squirel heaven!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOW SAD! :-(

--Patti

Danielle M. Scroggins said...

at least they weren't committing suicide like those montana squirrels!

Jarhead™ said...

I hit a squirrel while driving a golf cart once.

I would have sworn that sucker was dead; I heard him squealing and bumping along under the cart for about 50 feet. I finally stopped [must have dropped my beer or something] and I'll be damned if that little guy didn't sit up, shake himself off and high-tail it back to his forest home.

And the squirrel lived hapilly ever after until he decided to move to Decatur with his two friends Nutty and Fluffy and got hit by a car driven by an accountant on his way to work.

The End.

P.S. I'm sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

I remember when I hit my first bird it was a major event! Really hurt!

el chupacabra said...

Twice I've smacked birds with my car anntenna. What are the odds of it happening once?