the story of growing up Scroggins

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Slumber Party Year 2

We survived our second slumber party-this year for Madison's 8th Birthday. Again, I limited the number to 4 to be proactive with the drama that seems to follow these little people around. Madison was pumped, and quivered all day as we waited for her friends to show up. We made big plans: crafts, hikes, camping, outdoor movie watching, pizza, ice cream, and games.
The craft was a big hit: a make-your-own-scrapbook. I'm thinking we aren't too many years away from a mommy/daughter scrapbook marathon! O the fun that awaits!! Speaking of, I need to book me a scrapbook weekend pretty soon. I was giddy just looking at all the fun stickers and markers the girls were using. :)
8 year old girls are a little hard to read. I know I was still playing with Barbies, but apparently "kids these days" are a little too cool for toys. They seem to already be into the just hanging out and talking (about boys)! The hammock and trampoline were also big hits, and the girls seemed to bond in the freedom of the moment. I liked that. It's nice to see kids just being kids.
We set up tents and blankets outside. I borrowed a projector from Todd's sister to make an outside movie experience, and we actually all really grooved on that. Somehow the outdoor movie is always just a little more fun-add popcorn and M&M's and you have perfection. I didn't really expect them to make it through the night in the "wild," but they were pretty adamant about it-until SOMETHING HIT THEIR TENT. We were inside watching our own movie, and the girls ran inside all talking at once with intense drama about the CRAZY ANIMAL OUT TO GET THEM. The most hilarious moment was when Todd leaned back, closed his eyes, and asked "what do I need to do?" I thought it was awesome. Years from now they will reflect on the "night at Madison's house...REMEMBER? SOMETHING ATTACKED OUR TENT??" It was the wind by the way, but I didn't tell them that. I agreed that it must have been a coyote, a cougar, OR A T-REX. They retreated into the house, and proceeded to make a cozy spot for everyone in the playroom. I wasn't sure if I should make them go to bed? or just let them stay up? What's the rule there? In the end, I ushered the nightowls into their blankets about 3am. They snored for a few hours, and awoke to cinnamon roles and breakfast smoothies. Another big hit. Overall, a big success-complete with an afternoon nap to recover. This might be the start of a wonderful tradition. Maybe next year they'll make it through the night in the tents-except for the fact that I already have friends waiting in the wings with bear growls and other forms of slumber party torture. More drama!! What could be better than that? Happy Birthday Baby. 8 years ago you changed me forever. You made me a mom, and I'll never be the same again. Look back on these moments and laugh. Look back and know how much we love you; know how much we love the wonderful crazy that you have given us.

1 comment:

Harry said...

Happy birthday Madison! Looks fun!!