the story of growing up Scroggins

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Do you want your change with that?

This evening on our drive back from the Lake, we stopped at a drive-thru version of Sonic for a round of drinks. We opted for the drive-thru because we were pulling the boat, and parking on one of those little spaces just didn't seem like it would work out. When we all FINALLY decided on our drinks of choice (4 cherry limeades and 1 root beer), our Sonic Gal rang us up for $8.23. Todd handed her $9, and instead of "do you want some mozzarella sticks", it was "do you want your change?" Now, is it just me, or was this a little overzealous? I mean, don't you normally want your change? I realize Sonic is a little different, and to be honest, I never know if I'm supposed to tip at all-let alone how much. Sometimes I just throw the supercool "keep the change" phrase out there to avoid any awkwardness, but most of the time I check card it to further avoid the aforementioned awkwardness. However, this particular trip, we pulled through like any other fast food chain, so, if I tip her, shouldn't I tip at McDonald's? Arby's? Chicken Express?

What's the rule on this? Should I be tipping everyone who brings a diet coke to my car window? If so, how much? If not, am I guilt free forever? Because settling this little area of uncertainty would most definitely bring me some inner peace.

7 comments:

Natalie said...

Ha! I am laughing because we have this same discussion everytime we go to Sonic. I do exactly the same thing and use the machine so I don't have avoid it all together. :)

Harry said...

The rule is: that drive-thru worker was an idiot!

You tip the car-hops, yes. But not the DRIVE THRU. That's just craziness!

(altho come to think of it, my husband tips the "barista" at the Starbucks drive-thru. maybe he's as crazy as that Sonic worker?)

Anonymous said...

I always tip the car hop but never ever the drive thru

Denney Crane said...

It's all my fault, I've been letting them keep the change for several years...

My bad!

Goags89 said...

As an "experienced" car hop from our soccer fundraiser I can tell you that yes the car hops expect tips but normally "the change" is appropriate. We quickly learned that we did not like people that used their credit cards because they normally did not tip at all. I myself avoid Sonic if I do not have the correct money for proper tipping purposes-or I use the drive thru which I do not think a tip is required. I have heard the Sonic car hops make more than some real restaurant servers because even though the tips are small they have lots of volume. I can vouch that those Rt 44's are a b&#&* to deliver without spilling. lol

Anonymous said...

I can't believe she did that! She is doing her job inside and getting paid! There is no tipping at the drive-thru! I agree with bgirl...she was an idiot!
For outside service..if the service is good...if you have extra money...and if you want to tip...then tip..if not..don't tip!
I get tired of people thinking a tip is their right!

Anonymous said...

Always pay with your debit card. They just bring you the receipt, and the discussion (and this question) never comes up.
-Will