the story of growing up Scroggins

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

2 new tastes

While on our little Staycation, I relaxed with a few sips and cups of The Show brought to us by Jason and Jenn for dinner one night, but in all our fun conversation, we just didn't quite get to it. It was tasty, but a little tart for me. I'll give it a 2 on our 5 point scale. Todd was a beer connoisseur this particular night, so wasn't in on the tastacation. :)

Again, I'm being a solo wine critic. I took the kids swimming today-twice. Once at Sona's house (blogworthiness to come), and twice with Jared for a swim lesson. Throw in a cranky 8 year old (due to possible ear infection), crazy city traffic, and blistering Texas heat, and you can imagine my need for a little relaxation. I bought this bottle of Mirassou Pinot Noir a few weeks ago. I don't remember the exact cost, but I'm sure it was under $10 since that's my general rule. It was lovely! Very smooth, and perfect with a summer salad for dinner. I give it a 4 on our little 5 point scale. I will be purchasing this one again. Maybe tomorrow.

This weekend, I had an interesting conversation with another wine connoisseur-want-to-be who stated that no one really likes wine. They drink it, but they don't like it. He said that grape juice was good. Wine-not so good. I tried to suggest that maybe we just need to get him some better wine, some tastier versions of Cabernet or Pinot Noir; he suggested a lovely Franzia Merlot Box Wine instead. I've put it on my list, but I'll have to refer our friend, J, first. He was my official wine tutor, and I don't know that he'd approve. He was very adament about me graduating from the box to the cork. Any other suggestions? We're taking them. :)

2 comments:

Tara said...

One of my favorites is from Brushy Creek Winery between Alvord and Sunset. It is a small winery but they have some very nice wines. The one I like the best is called Three Friends (or something like that) and is made from grapes from 3 different wineries. It is a red wine, sweet, but not too sweet, and is very smooth. You should try it.

Anonymous said...

Seriously? He said no one actually likes wine? Wrong. Question: how are you a connosieur of something you consume without actually liking what it is you are consuming? This person obviously hasn't met my wife either. :-)

I can recommend something to you, but here it is...I'm drawing the line...no more playing around. You'll only get my recommendations WITH ME STANDING IN YOUR LIVING ROOM. :-) That's what you'll get in return for an invitation to the Scroggins house. If it doesn't come, then I know my opinion just does not matter to you. We will find out. :-)

From "You Know Who it is Without Asking!!!" (just playing with you, I hope you know)