the story of growing up Scroggins

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Radio Silence

Todd went down into the Big Hole in the Ground today, and I won't be able to reach him AT ALL for three days. I actually hadn't even considered this detail until this morning. I do that a lot-not thinking through all the details of an event. The other day, Jennifer and I took the kids to CiCi's after baseball, and I was literally in the line to pay when I realized it was a buffet. Um-3 kids? 1 adult? Logistically not the smartest thing I've ever done. Thank goodness she was there with me to tackle that pizza catastrophe-to-be. ANYway, during this morning's revelation it struck me how often Todd and I communicate. We constantly text, call, or email. We solidify the afternoon schedule (that can take up to 15 texts easy!), wonder what to have for dinner, ask about eachother's day, vent about something crazy that happened, or sometimes just send that random "I luv u." (text speak of course). Today my phone was quiet. Todd might as well be on the moon-it's just that weird.

Also today, I subbed at the Intermediate School-6th grade science, and taught a lesson on Carrying Capacity. I was totally pumped because this is my niche (ha!), and I could talk for days on natural selection, population control, predator-prey relationships, etc. When I went to review the assignment, it was over the Kaibab Deer population that reside in the Grand Canyon National Preserve. How nifty is that? The same day I lose communication with my Todd because of the Big Hole in the Ground, I randomly teach this lesson? Omen? Fate? Divine Intervention? Definitely.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dropped them all off at the back country office at 4:45 AM yesterday to catch the 5 AM shuttle to the Kaibab Trailhead where they started down. Assuming they made it down alright, Todd, Michelle and Becky should be exploring the bottom of the canyon today. They were planning to hike six miles to a waterfall before spending their second tonight at the bottom at Bright Angels Campground.

After dropping them off, I drove back to Mathis Point to wait for sunrise and took some photos as the Sun was rising over the North Rim around 5:30, and then drove back to Tusayan to eat breakfast and hang out until checkout time at the motel. I had four hours before I could check in at the next motel, so I drove back up to the canyon and drove to Desert View Tower overlook on the east side of the South Rim and worked my way back across to the Bright Angel Trailhead, stopping at all the overlooks in between. I decided to walk down the trail a ways to see how difficult it is, so I could decide if I can make it down to the 3 mile Resthouse where I plan to meet Todd and the others as they come up tomorrow morning and not have problems getting back up the 2,500 feet rise in elevation to the top. Walked about a half mile down which is about 450 feet below the rim and made it back up fairly well, so think I should be OK to go down.

Gary

Bean Counter said...

We made it out about 4.5 hours ago and just ate our first real food for the past 3 days at the Cracker Barrel...for chicken fried steak dinners please. Did have a tecate or two at the bottom of the canyon, so no complaints from me.

Bean Counter said...

Sorry for bad grammar...in a car so pretty bumpy.

Bean Counter said...

Sorry for bad grammar...in a car so pretty bumpy.