the story of growing up Scroggins

Monday, May 18, 2009

Meet A Friend of Mine!

This little dude tried to ambush me in my final ascent out of the canyon. Growing up in Texas I have always been keenly aware of the possibility of seeing a rattlesnake in some of the places I find myself walking from time to time. I have always wondered what it would be like to have a rattlesnake rattle at me as warning before I knew where he was. Well...I no longer have to wonder what that is like. I experienced it. And yes, I changed my underwear at the top because when I turned to look he was about 3 feet from me.
I took this pic after he moved a couple of feet from where I spotted him. He was essentially on the top of a rock on the trail. He is a Grand Canyon Pink Rattlesnake. They blend in very well with surroundings. A ranger told me they were a non-agressive species of rattlesnake, but I am not so sure I believe him. This dude looked poised to strike and did not back down one inch...this was his territory. I let him keep it.

6 comments:

mzchief said...

*YiKeS*Did anyone tell the rattlesnake it is a "non-agressive species of rattlesnake." That snake looks too well fed to be "non-aggressive."

Anonymous said...

So, Daniella stayed behind and BeanCounter actually hiked? Interesting 2 person blog you've got going on here.

House said...

And this was fun to you??

Sandra said...

Oh.

My.

Goags89 said...

I told Todd he needed his own blog and to quit hijacking Daniella's. Now Barry Green thinks she was hiking again---little does he know of her "love" of the canyon. :)

luvyjewel said...

Did you throw your moms backpack at it? lol