the story of growing up Scroggins

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Dave Matthews Band

Last night, a group of us braved some crazy weather to see Dave Matthews in concert. To be honest, I was a little worried for our fun factor based on the lightening and golf ball sized raindrops falling around here before we left, but I grabbed my trusty concert-in-the-rain-hat and hoped it would all work out.

We had dinner at the Twisted Root Burger Co. in Dallas, and then headed to the Superpages Center. That's when the skies really opened up. We sat in our cars for about an hour hovering over iphones and counting the lightning bolts around us. Miraculously, the skies cleared around concert time, and we braved the venue. As we sat waiting for the concert to begin, it became apparent than none of us (including the one who proposed this little field trip) were super big Dave Matthews fans. Todd and I both figured we'd recognized a few songs, but (amazingly) don't have any on the ol' ipod. This was true of all of us, and it just made me laugh. Here we were, sitting in a rainstorm that just demolished the Cowboys Training Facility, just for kicks. That's when you know you've got some great friends-any excuse to hang out works.

The concert was actually pretty fantastic (despite the $12 beer!!!!!!!!). Mr. Dave Matthews and his band are pretty amazing musicians, and I got a kick out of watching them "jam" after each song. In fact, Todd was convinced they only played five songs the entire concert. The weather held off until the last song, and then it began to pour on us once again. We packed up and took it to the car at that point knowing we might miss the encore, but satisfied with our experience. I have to give credit to Will for planning this little adventure, and helping us grow in our musical appreciation. I might not have been a super big fan before, but I'll definitely be purchasing some Dave Matthews now and in the future. Oh-and Will? Text anytime, our lives are empty and mundane without your novellas to entertain us throughout the day. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the concert as well. I knew that DMB would be more of an "experience" than some of the other bands I have seen. They are true musicians in every sense of the word. In spite of the rain (I'm noticing a pattern of it raining everywhere we go together--river trip & DMB concert), I enjoyed our time as well especially the name calling at Twisted Root Burger ("Meryl Streep!"), our own mini Kentucky Derby running at Twisted Root Burger (50-1 odds probably should result in us paying Jason more money), and "Crash". We have DMB CDs if you want to put some songs on your iPod.

Anonymous said...

Whoops. Last message from Will "Not a very good blogger" Klose