the story of growing up Scroggins

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Arm Update

Yesterday, we met with the Orthopedic Doctor to check on Grady's arm. They did a few xrays with the cast on, showed us the pictures, explained exactly where the injury was, and how it was healing. I have to give kudos to this doctor for involving me in the process and explaining the course of treatment-the radiologist last week left a little to be desired in that respect. In any case, after we all mulled over the xrays, and I explained the tragedy of the submerged cast, he decided to take the cast off. WITH A SAW! YIKES! I prepared for Grady to completely FREAK OUT as we took a power tool to his arm, but said doctor was WONDERFUL and Grady actually cracked up during the entire process. There was one moment of sadness when he realized his "cast had a broken heart," but other than that, all was good.

We then took more xrays, and the Doc decided a splint would be a good solution for the next few weeks. I was super pumped about this given the bathtime beatings of the last week, until Grady figured out how to take the splint off every 5 seconds. Ugh. As we were concluding our nice 2 hour visit, I mentioned Tanner's toe-just to give myself peace of mind. It's been bothering me that it was his BIG toe-that toe seems so important! Again, the doctor reassured me that all was well, and taping to the next toe for a makeshift splint was the best course of treatment. He must have sensed my anxiety at all the medical drama of the last week, because as we were leaving he put his hand on my shoulder and said "You did good mom-great questions, and no-you did not overreact." :)

Always nice to be reassured that I'm not crazy-I think I've mentioned that before? Anyway, we are healing around here. The eyes are nice and healthy, bones are knitting well. Not bad for a week of recovery.

No comments: