the story of growing up Scroggins

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Part-Time Teaching?

I've had tons of questions on how a part-time teaching job works. Believe it or not, they are out there-just far and few between. When I student taught, there were 2 sets of teacher that job-shared, meaning one taught the morning classes, and the other taught the afternoon classes. I've also heard of teaching one semester and job sharing with someone for the second semester. At our very own elementary school, the PE teachers job share by alternating weeks. So, in my opinion, if you luck into a situation where the need is small, or the principal is flexible, teaching can also fall into the category of "flex-time."

To be honest, I can't believe I actually found one.

My part-time gig will involve teaching 3 classes of 7th science everyday. The hours are liquid right now, but it looks like I will be on duty from 10ish to 2ish. I will also be driving about 40 minutes each way, but the half-time status will make the commute manageable. But, I'm kinda looking forward to being in the big city more regularly and having the opportunity to break back into my couponing routine at Kroger for groceries, or stopping by Target for a fancy box of wine.

I will still get a conference period, so all my planning and grading will hopefully be taken care of at school-that is, if my time-management skills are still up to par. AND, even at half-time it counts as a full year toward teacher retirement. Double-bonus. :)

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Thanks for the info. Chad was just telling me about cfisd doing job sharing. Who knew? I did not. I knew you could probably work out a part time gig though. Where are you going? When do you start? Just thought I would add a few more questions. :)