the story of growing up Scroggins

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A New Chapter

Growing up a Marine Corps Brat, I remember my childhood in reference to the 2-3 year time periods spent at each military base. The pattern of splitting my life into chapters was established, and I began to compartmentalize each stage of growing up with the place we lived. While most people remember actual years, teachers or popular songs, I remember houses, schools, and states. I survived being the new girl 12, 000 times, and somewhere along the way acquired a baby sister. I fell in love with dolphins, and embraced my inner flower child as the makings of my own skin. In the background, my dad's guitar was always playing Mamas Don't let your Babies Grow up to be Cowboys.


My first major life change was when dad retired, and we moved to Decatur-as civilians. No more military base, no more military brats, and no more dinners at the O'Club. Those 4 years were the longest I'd lived anywhere, and they happened to coincide with High School. I became a Decatur Eagle, and danced along with the other Eagle Dolls at halftime. I played the flute in the band, and somehow was elected President of the Business Professionals of America. I've never been quite sure how that happened, and laughed along with my friends when it did. Those friends were the backbone of my experience then, and it was remarkable to me to think I would know and see these people for many years to come. Sophomore World History prompted me to make my own religion to 5th Dimension's, Aquarius, but Pomp and Circumstance was the soundtrack I followed as I set my sites on A&M.


Aggieland was my home for the next 5 years. To this day, College Station feels more like home than any other city. Not only was it the first place I lived on my own, but it was there I made so many life decisions. Decisions like job direction, internships...oh. and husband. Big Stuff. I embraced my Texan Roots and love for outdoor living with Robert Earl Concerts and the beginning of many, many camping trips. I went out on my own to D.C. and began to grow a backbone and feel that my skin was indeed my own. Soon, Pomp and Circumstance was again the soundtrack to push me on to the next chapter, but in my head I was hearing The Road Goes on Forever and the Party Never Ends.


We graduated, packed a U-haul, moved out of the trailer in College Station and into a duplex in Coppell. I began my teaching career in 7th grade science, and for the next 5 years, I focused on making a difference in the lives of those kids. Being a teacher was who I became, and not just what I did. My pattern of being the new girl emerged twice as I changed schools, but both times I was more confident to show my Inner Flower Child Texan Aggie to the friends that would become like an extended family to me. We became homeowners and parents during these years, and as we prepared for the next move, I was singing along to The Wheels on the Bus.

Keller was home for my Stay-at-Home years. I have spent the last six years going on playdates, organizing kid-centered field trips, manufacturing little tyke crafts, masterplanning naptimes and our family schedule. I have thrown myself into the business of being a mom, and have had a love-hate relationship with that experience. Looking back on these years, tears form around my eyes because of the tender memories I have rocking my babies to sleep, watching them learn to walk, and marveling at seeing them turn into little people. Those memories are peppered with potty training frustration, sharing lessons gone wrong, and never-ending time-outs. They are tender and bittersweet memories. It was perhaps the biggest gift I have received in my entire life, and my heart swells with a gratitude I don't think I could ever really express. As we moved to Decatur, I could feel our family dynamic changing especially as our Ipods rivaled over Todd Snider's I Can't Complain, Hannah Montana's Best of Both Worlds, and the soundtrack to Cars.

Now I feel it's time for a new chapter. Yesterday, I accepted a part-time 7th grade Science position. It will be a small commute, but it seemed like God really gave me the answer I'd been searching for. The fact that the offer came on Todd's Birthday was an omen I just couldn't ingore. I'm nervous and excited at the same time. I wonder how our little family will maneuver the change, and how I will be accepted back in the real world of teaching. I'm excited to be the boss of my own classroom again, and to immerse myself into making a difference. Through all the chapters I've experienced to this point, that has been my ultimate goal. I know it sounds cliche and silly, but that inner Flower Child drives me to show the world I care. Things have truly come full circle as I hear 5th Dimension singing Aquarius, and I know in my gut it really is the dawning of a new age.

5 comments:

Sharyn said...

Congratulation...you can't ignore it when God talks to you! I will miss my stay at home buddy next year!

Soña said...

Congratulations!

Natalie said...

Congrats! Part-time...what does that mean? Half-days or just several days a week. Good luck and you can give me advice when I decide or must tackle that world again. :)

Harry said...

Yes, please esplain part-time. I'm stumped.

ANYWAY, congratulations!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new job!
I know you will enjoy it and have a great time!