the story of growing up Scroggins

Sunday, July 26, 2009

and then there were three...


Yesterday, I spent the day with one of my oldest friends as she became a mom. An experience that unexpectedly touched me, and added another layer of friendship between us. A friendship already so rich in history, we could be family.


When I heard the news she was in labor, I hesitated before making the drive into Dallas. I knew we'd talked about me being there with her, and for her Mom, but at the same time I didn't want my presence to be an intrusion. I sat for a minute and reflected on the days Madison, Tanner and Grady were born. They were the highlights of our lives, and we loved sharing our miracles with our family and friends. In my mind, there was a backdrop of love and support for us each day, and Sona was a part of that for me. I wanted to try to pay that back.


When I arrived in Dallas around 11am, she was in active labor, at 5 cm, and her water had broken. She had been in labor and coping since 11 the night before. Her Doula was coaching her through natural childbirth, and there was evidence of the Zen environment around the room. After giving the appropriate hugs and kisses, I set about making jobs for myself, making sure Kevin was fed, and Laura was managing. I stepped out to give Sona privacy and solitude during those intense moments, keeping the path between her room and the waiting room warm. Patti was actually able to stop by, and we laughed in Kevin's delirium. A good day to have a baby.


Around 2 in the afternoon, we got the news that Sona hadn't progressed passed 5 cm, despite the increasing pitocin drip. The mood turned, and I was hit with another reality in motherhood: I will never stop worrying. I will never be able to see my own child in pain. I will forever hate to see my child disappointed or heartbroken. Even when they are grown, productive members of society living their own destinies, my heart will break for them. I gave Laura my shoulder, and tried to swallow that information. Information I knew in my head, but until that moment, had not fully understood in my heart. I tried to offer some of my own wisdom, and passed along a little of Shelly's wisdom too, ending my little pep talk with "No matter how the baby gets here, we still win at the carnival. We still get a baby." I think that helped. Thank you Shelly. Still a good day to have a baby.


We dried our eyes, and headed back to give Sona our support. What she wanted was rest, and that found its way through the epidural. Her Doula talked her through the decision, and we moved on with a new birth plan. We watched some amazing contractions on her monitor for the next few hours, told stories, and guessed how Baby would make his or her arrival. The mood had shifted a little, and even though we were still anxious for Baby to come, we enjoyed those moments of relaxation coupled in anticipation. At 5:30pm, we knew a c-section was coming. So, to prepare, we applied mascara and lip gloss. Kidding. Sort of. Laura, Kevin, and the Doula slipped on some scrubs and waited with Sona. I collected Sona's things, and slipped out to my warmed seat in the waiting room. I was so excited for them.


I reflected on each of my sections, each time a baby grew inside me, and how each baby was so perfect. So different, but still so perfect. To say that pregnancy, birth, and motherhood is life-changing doesn't really even begin to scratch the surface. Emotions somehow grow from pastel to living color in your heart as you begin to experience the world through your child's life. As I sat in that waiting room, my mind was a photo album of those moments, and they spilled over into Sona's future moments. I couldn't wait for her journey to begin.


Laura found me after the surgery and overwhelmingly bubbled that she had a granddaughter. Andrea Julianna, with a head of black curls. She led me to recovery so that I could meet my Goddaughter. She was perfect. And beautiful. Sona and Kevin were glowing, dizzy with happiness. My eyes blurred as I pieced together every part of her little baby burrito-always a favorite.


The rest of the night, we mostly just stared at Little Andrea, and fell in love with her. Sona moved to her new room, and I found food for Kevin again. Never let a boy get hungry. :) In my head, I thanked them for sharing this day with me. I'd never been on the other side of the hospital bed, and seeing the process unfold, being part of that process gave me a connection I hadn't realized I missed. I said my goodnights, and as I left, I watched this new little family settle in, already in a routine of nursing and pooping, and smiled from the inside out. A great day to have a baby.

3 comments:

Shelly said...

Beautiful. Simply beautiful. Both Andrea and her family that loved her wanted her so very much.

Anonymous said...

sooooo glad i could meet baby baby sona :-) she is so cute and perfect! DEFINATELY stopping on my next trip home to see the little booger again! congrats to the both of them.

--aunt patti (guess Andrea can call me that too!)

sharynh said...

How awesome to experience that with a good friend.