the story of growing up Scroggins

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

now I might be gay for Coldplay

As many of you know, Todd has a mancrush on Coldplay. Last night, we scratched an item off his bucket list, and saw them live in concert. All of you reading this, put this experience on your personal bucket list immediately. It. was. amazing. They sounded amazing; their musical talent was incredible; their stage presence was humbling. It was almost a spiritual event. Truly.

The night started off a little shaky, when Todd sat in his seat only to find that it was broken. Broken completely off the hinges:
So, our friend, Chris, took it upon himself to tattle this hardship to the powers that be explaining that Todd was insane about Coldplay, and the broken seat was ruining his experience. Ruining his life even. Would you believe that they reseated us? Moved us even closer? We were basically front row after that. Better than front row if you ask me. We could see Chris Martin's individual beads of sweat. It was fantastic.
We owe our Chris big time. :) And even after all this spectacularness, when our other friends Natalie and John walked by, Chris scored them a seat with us. Needless to say, we were all giddy with our upgrade.
Then, the concert began. I was literally jumping up and down in my excitement. Ya, I love a good concert, but to be there with Todd, who is literally Gay for Coldplay, just bowled me over. I wanted him to soak up every second, and there were a thousand wonderful seconds to soak up. They released balloons during "Yellow," and when they popped tons of little confetti filled the air. One wandered our direction. Todd popped it. See? The stars were definitely in alignment for us last night.
They moved the stages. TWICE. Once, to be closer to the middle of the crowd, and another to be out on the lawn. They ran RIGHT IN FRONT OF US to get that second stage. In my exuberance, I screwed up the camera, but I have a great picture in my mind. A picture of Todd inches away from giving Chris Martin a high five.
He did a little blues number about being in the Lone Star State; his drummer sang a solo, and then they sang "Billie Jean." It was surreal. It really was. As the concert progressed, I fell more and more in love with this little band.
I didn't want the concert to end, but after 3 hours of enchanting us with his piano, Chris Martin gave everyone there a free CD, or "record" as he called it, and serenaded us one more time. Todd doesn't show his excitement outwardly very often, but I think I caught a few "woos" coming from his direction throughout the night. I definitely heard him singing along, and could see him drinking in these amazing moments. Viva la Vida. I can't say it any better than that.

3 comments:

Bean Counter said...

Dani is totally GAY for Coldplay! I can't say I blame her. Gotta say...if you want to see a band that has tons of talent, sounds the same as they do on albums (better in my mind)and puts on a great show, put this one on your list. They are probably one of the most humble groups I have ever seen. Problem is, they are taking 2 years off after this tour so it will be a while. Odds are, we will be there next time too!

cdk said...

That sounds AMAZING! I take back all the teasing to Todd about Coldplay. I want to see them now, too! Hope U2 even comes close now!

sharynh said...

Man...that was definitely one of the best concerts I have seen...second maybe only to U2 back in 1992 or so. Chris has become a major fan as well. Humble so perfectly defines Chris Martin...it was a pleasure to watch his band entertain us. I am sure you couldn't tell I had fun!! :-)