the story of growing up Scroggins

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

One Family, One Faith

This Easter was really special in more than just the normal Egg Hunting ways. After 12 years of marriage, Todd took it upon himself to enter into the Catholic Church. We've been attending RCIA classes weekly since September discussing the history, traditions, and philosophy of the Church. I have to admit, it's been a really great experience. Just the extra time with Todd every week has been wonderful, but then to grow together in a united Faith was a bonus I'd never expected. This past Saturday all the "training" culminated with Todd recieving the Sacraments of Confirmation and Holy Communion. The service was almost magical-something else I didn't expect, but the candlelight and the longevity added a little something special. Madison attended the service with us, along with my sister, her boyfriend, Todd's parents, and my parents. When it was time for Todd to recieve his Sacraments from the Priest, Madison came up to us and took my hand and Todd's hand. She looked up at him with such pride and affection.

While we have been going to Church since we married, and the kids are being brough up in the Church, having Todd be a part of all the tradition and ritual is a blessing I never knew I wanted so much, and a blessing that united us as a family more than I realized.


So, from now on, we are one in Faith-all five of us trundling up to the alter every week for Communion. All five of us making the sign of the cross. All five of us kneeling in prayer.


No comments: