the story of growing up Scroggins

Monday, March 31, 2008

Dear Diary

I have kept a diary most of my life, which I know probably lumps me in like .5% of the world's population. And half of those are probably in therapy somewhere. Or writing blogs. In the recent move, I found my very first diary-given to me by the Easter Bunny in 2nd grade. Here's the first entry:

"Sunday, (Easter) April 3, 1983
It was a great day! Patti and I found 12 plastic eggs and 7 hard boiled eggs. We went to a picnic and saw many friends. I made an Easter Card for mommy and daddy with a big Easter egg that I made in it. My mom curled my hair for me. I wore the dress that my grandma sent me because my mom said it was my new Easter dress. At the picnic Chrissy and Michael and I made a tent. Grandma sent Patti and I a huge Easter Egg full of candy!"

It is so funny to read through these entries of my childhood. Some of the things that were so important to me then I barely remember now. Reading my own thoughts as a child is kind of like an out of body experience. It's me-but not me. It's me "in the making" I guess. I can see how certain events in my life made me who I am. I know it sounds corny, but I'm very repetitive through the years. :) Above all else it's given me a little insight about where Madison is headed. I know I already lived through the experience of childhood, but reading this diary puts me back in the mind of an 8 year old. a 13 year old. a high school student. I'm thinking that mind will help me think in the years ahead. Lord knows I need the extra brain cells.

No comments: