the story of growing up Scroggins

Sunday, August 16, 2009

River Trip 2009

One of our favorite getaways is a float down the river. I know, classy. But we are who we are, right? It started in college, and then was intermittent throughout the "baby bearing years," and now we have a yearly date with the river. I'd say we are dern close to making it a tradition to float the weekend before Back to School Chaos. This year started out a little rough for me; I was under the spell of a Stress Cold as I like to call them. Fevery, snotty, coughy. The Works. But, I plowed through, doped up, and came out ahead of the game by Saturday morning. Good thing. Also this year, there were no ipod issues, instead there were sunburn issues. I distinctly remember the river always being in the shade, but this year, that was not the case. But then, my memory could be going. We are getting a little older, it's true. We did have a tad bit of culture shock upon opening the door to our "condo." And yes, I used quotations there for a reason. Technically, it was a condo; after we saw past a few carpet stains and outdated kitchen gadgets, we were able to slip back into true River Trash Status-but it was sketchy up until that first popped top. By the end of the weekend, we were resigned in the fact that it "wasn't that bad," because at least we weren't driving anywhere-ever so responsible of us. See? I told you we were getting older. Wiser too.Great friends, great food (because of all the pre-floating planning-another sign of the Wiser Times), and awesome music made the weekend one for the memory books. One last fling with summer to give us the boost to give Fall our Full Attention. The football games, the pumpkins, the Holiday Shopping...only another year until Toobs, coolers, and ice cream topped with Crown for dessert...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this year at the river:
1) Jared and Todd wrestling...Jared having Todd in various holds...kissing him on the cheek with each one.
2) Jared texting me with Todd's phone without his knowledge &
3) River Todd getting a handout from "Jesus" during the afternoon trip down the river.
Missed the Wrens. Until next year...
Will