the story of growing up Scroggins

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Happy Halloween!


Last night, we went out on the town with two Darth Vaders and one Hermione Granger.  We hit Jason and Jenn's house to hook up with a Ninja, Anakin Skywalker, and Princess Leia-and tons of others.  This makes the sixth(?) year we've tricked and treated with them, so I think we can call it a tradition.  :)  We changed up our routine this year, and stuck with just their neighborhood.  We thought since Halloween hit on a Saturday, we could relax with an orange plastic cup filled with our own treat. 

There were a few tense moments waiting for dark, so the trick or treating could begin.  Because our morning was filled with soccer and baseball, Grady didn't get a nap, and we had to continually talk him off the ledge-promising that he WOULD get candy.  I think the concept of going from house to house with people just GIVING YOU CANDY was just too much for him.  When we finally began the walk, he literally bolted from house to house. 


Our adventure brought us back to Jason and Jenn's for more candy extravaganza-only this time to pass it out.  It was an intricately involved process to ensure everyone took turns passing out the candy AND the candy was rationed appropriately for all the incoming trick-or-treaters.  In fact, it was so intricate that at one point, I lost Grady when he wandered next door to chat with the neighbors about the footballs they were giving out.  Yes, I lost one of my kids.  I am unfit.  In the time I lost him, and the neighbors found him, the police (monitoring the street) had been contacted about the lost little boy.  I freaked only for a few minutes after we found him again, but for those few minutes I did lose my mind-thinking that OF COURSE he was kidnapped on Halloween.  What a perfect time for a crazy person to steal a precious bundle.  At that point, Halloween did seem very scary, and I made mental notes for future Halloweens...It took a while, but I did finally recover, and was able to enjoy the time spent with friends-very Happy to Be Here. 

God Bless us Every One-wait, that's another Holiday, but it fits anyway. :)

No comments: