the story of growing up Scroggins

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

U2

Last night, I fulfilled one of my Bucket List Items by attending the U2 Concert.  It. was. amazing.  It took me a long time to realize that I was actually in the presence of my Moment, much to the annoyance of Todd.  He kept asking me if I was excited, if I was looking forward to the concert, if I was hoping for "With or Without You" to be the opening song.  And sure, I was all of those things, but just very calm in anticipation-which is odd for me.  Calm Excitement.

We gathered our group of friends, left Decatur around 4, and headed to Cowboy Stadium to find our parking pass.  Our fearless organizer, Jennifer, had researched the best way to park and cemented a safe spot right across the street from the GIANT structure that is Jerry Jones World.  MUCH better than the $10 parking her "better half" kept eyeing.  :)

We had just enough time to treat ourselves to dinner and a few drinks before the big Hike and Climb to the concert.  The stadium was a little HUGE.  If it's possible, it looks SMALLER on the outside than the inside.  But enough about that, it is just metal and concrete...back to the MUSIC.

The stage was set up off-center and was GIGANTIC.

Here is the view from our seats.  We were on the third deck, second row, and if not for that arm right in our line of vision, we would have been giggly about our location.  As it turned out, the awesome U2 was so energetic and excited, they never stayed in one place and we were just as much a part of the concert as those right there in the guts and glory section.  It was an odd looking stage though; Bono himself called it a spaceship.  :)

Muse was the opening band-guys I'd never heard of, but was entertained by during the anticipation of the awesome U2.  They were one of those kind of bands that draws me into their sound, causing me to dissect it into the individual parts.  Sometimes I'm just so amazed that those parts can come together to make a whole sound.  I think that's the band geek in me coming out. :) They FINALLY finished, and it was time to wait for the awesome U2.  and wait.  and wait.  Lots of waiting-which added to my Calm Excitement.

And then, they arrived.

I could hardly believe my senses.  I felt like my entire body was lying to me.  I couldn't possibly be in the same universe as This Band.  This Band that took me under their wing in my "tween" years, giving my music substance, and my brain some exercise.  I fell in love with U2 in about 7th grade.  Before then, I'd mostly dabbled in Country (I was SO country when country wasn't cool).  Joshua Tree seeped into my bones and began to shape my philosophies.  I started researching my Irish Roots, and tried to understand the turmoil in that country.  I, too, became an advocate for Peace.  From that moment, I devoured every album.  I actually bought two Rattle and Hum CDs because I wore one of them out.  So, standing in that stadium, listening to their music, straight from their bodies, I was starstruck.  All I could do was inhale, exhale, and listen.

They were incredible.  Bono never stopped.  The Edge (my favorite) was subdued perfection.  Their music filled the stadium.  Their lyrics filled our souls.  Always with a political message, Bono thanked George Bush for his work in Africa, and asked all of us to become One in the quest for Peace.  The encore came in three parts, and they FINALLY played "With our Without You," which I FINALLY decided is my favorite song. 
As we left the stadium, I was also FINALLY filled with that outward excitement Todd had been wanting to see.  At one point during the encore, he told me I needed my own section at a concert.  Hey, when you feel the music, you just gotta move.  :)  I think it took the entire concert for the Moment to sink in and become part of me. 

We spent the drive home recapturing our favorite moments of the concert, dodging cars driving the wrong way on the highway, feeling our way through the fog, justifying the late bedtime, and reliving a perfect Bucket List Moment.  Like I said.  Amazing.

No comments: