the story of growing up Scroggins

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Where's your bike mommy?

Naptime used to consist of just that-napping children. I knew I had about 2 hours in the afternoon for "me time" to recollect myself before gearing up for the marathon evening hours. I loved naptime. I treasured naptime. Sometimes I would scrapbook-my favorite guilty pleasure. Sometimes I would attend to the "business of our lives. Sometimes I would frantically search for necessary parenting knowledge to make it through the rest of the day. Now that the children are growing up into whole kids-that precious time is becoming a thing of the past. The Baby still naps of course, but the elder hoodlums not so much. I have however cleverly convinced My Boy that some days are "napping days" which, when adhered to, allow for "not napping days".

Today was a not napping day. Now, as I discussed earlier, I'm going through a bit of a mourning process with this whole naptime upheaval. BUT-today I embraced that one-on-one time with My Boy. I love that time-just still getting used to using that way cool naptime for it. While gearing up for some outside festivities, he looked up at me with great concern and almost pity. "Mommy, you never get to ride your bike-it's ok, you can have a turn with mine." Wow. What a moment. I instantly found my bike, aired up the tires (it's been a while) and we raced around the driveway for the better part of an hour. Sometimes I won the race, sometimes he did. When he did, he always noted that it was ok-I might win next time.

So much more restful than a nap.

but when will I scrapbook this?

No comments: