the story of growing up Scroggins

Friday, May 18, 2007

Live, Work and Play in the Same Town

So recently we were able to make our lifelong dream of living, working, and playing in the same town a reality. It took almost 11 years for all the pieces to fall into place. It sounds simple, right? Just get a job in the town you want to live, find a place to call home and be on your merry way. Not so much.

Here's how it happened: Todd landed a super accountant type job at the hospital here in town about 2 years ago. At that point we put our house on the market and snooped around the Decatur House Market-the twilight zone of all housing markets. I loved the idea of buying an old house "in town"...but not to the tune of $300,000-yep, totally serious. So, we looked at things from a different angle and bought some land-a whoppin' 2 acres and hoped to build someday. In the meantime, we realized that in the big city, houses sell for about $5 since you can build one brand spankin' new for $1. That kinda sucked. We had the house on the market for a year-no takers. When The Baby was born last March, we cried Uncle and took the house off the market. We settled into our big city lives for the next year and slapped the house back up this past February. Six Days Later we sold the house.

At this point we of course have no house built on the 2 whoppin' acres. The metropolis that is Decatur has zero rental property (Which, by the way you find "word of mouth"). So, with great hesitation, I approached my parents and asked to move back in while we sorted out the details. They, also with great hesitation, agreed. They have moved out to the garage apartment (we'll call it The Loft), and we have taken over the "big house". When I say taken over-I'm not exaggerating.

My family of Five has taken over the house I, for the sake of argument, grew up in. It's not that I spent my entire 18 formative years here. Hardly-just the 4 years of High School. There are more memories in this house for me as a visitor than an inhabitant. Still, sometimes I turn a corner and flashback 15 years and feel like I'm supposed to tease my hair super big or study for a super big test. A couple of friends from high school have since visited and agree with the flashes. Must be the house.

So, this brings us to today. Our architect is on the way over with some house plans, and we are moving forward with Project House. It's been an interesting 3 months, but I have to admit not as scary as I had envisioned. I still feel like less than a grown up in this town, and I'm wondering when the change will take place to full grown-up-status.

although-is that something I want to sign up for??



No comments: