the story of growing up Scroggins

Monday, July 28, 2008

Class of 1993

The last night of the old Reunion, we had a casual meeting of our graduating class...our class that graduated 15 YEARS AGO! You'd think that since all these years had passed, I would be confident and cool walking into that room. wrong. I had a nagging nervousness all day, and had to self medicate before gathering the courage to go. Once I was there, I was timewarped back to 1993 and any self confidence I had built in these last 15 years was promptly shredded as I walked through the door. so annoying. I did enjoy talking with people while I was there, but also felt on stage the entire time...and as I talked with other people later in the night, I realized that I am not the only crazy person in the world-that almost everyone else feels the same way about high school. Isn't that crazy? Especially, if you think about it, if everyone is feeling insecure now, and also felt insecure then-who were the really confident people making us all so insecure? I think they were those little negative voices we have in our own heads...I think there may not have been anyone making me insecure but me. Now there's a revelation. Today I've been searching for quotes (long story), and stumbled upon this one:

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in
harmony." -Mahatma Gandhi

Just think-if you dismissed every negative image and thought about yourself or anyone else, and aligned that with what you said and did-imagine the self confidence and happiness that would just come crashing your direction. I think I'd be able to walk into any room and make a connection-make a splash in someone else's world. Because I'm good enough, smart enough, and dog gone it people like me!

No comments: