the story of growing up Scroggins

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Wicked Awesome

In these days of child-filled chaos I have found that "scheduling mom time" takes an effort but is well worth it. In that endeavor, I joined a book club-this month reading (almost finished with) Wicked-The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. I have to say I was super pumped to read this book having heard awesome rantings about the musical. I also have to say I struggled through this book, and sadly had not finished by our book club meeting tonight. BUT, our discussion was so super fun. I knew as I was reading the book that there was vivid symbolism, imagery, political nuances, religious undertones....on and on. I just had a really hard time defining what they were and how they fit together. It was interesting to see the story of Oz portrayed in this way, and I have to say I want to be a friend to the Wicked Witch. If everyone were as real as she is then we'd live in an honest and peaceful world. I do plan on finishing the book, but am not married to the idea of seeing the musical. As difficult as this book was for me to read, I would recommend it to others-especially if we sat down with a bottle of wine afterwards. There's no place like Oz.

No comments: