the story of growing up Scroggins

Friday, March 19, 2010

my day off...

Chrissy and I were lounging in bed, me trying to write something fantastic, her taking a, as luck would have it, catnap, when the world exploded.

Really just a few oil tanks across the street, but it pretty much sounded like the whole world.  I walked outside to find black smoke filling the yard, and orange flames peeking out over the hill.  So, as any self-respecting blogger would, I grabbed my phone to do a little texting, and my camera to capture the moment.  Not long after the explosion, we were officially surrounded by the paparazzi of two news helicopters and one careflight helicopter.  Two were injured in the explosion, although I think with only minor burns.  Apparently, they were welding and a spark went somewhere it shouldn't.  I made a few friends as we watched from the road, submitted some pics to The Messenger and went about my business of my day off...but ya, a little excitement that I wasn't anticipating in little ol' Decatur.

Edit:
I think it's safe to tell this part of the story now, it's all pretty much old news.  So, Friday afternoon the Fox 4 newscrew showed up at my front door wanting to INTERVIEW ME ON CAMERA about the whole explosion thing.  I politely declined, citing my lack of make up and yucky hair as definite negatives for them and for me, but the girl begged and begged.  I stood firm though, and sent them off in the direction of other neighbors I knew had been home during the excitement.  I just knew Mrs. Hlavek across the street would be a great interview and could add some local color.  :)  I had no-kid plans Friday evening, so I began primping for that event, which, as luck would have it, was an excellent plan on my part since the news crew returned not 15 minutes after I had sent them away.  The cute pregnant girl begged and begged telling me "I was her only hope."  I'm still having heart palpitations at the thought, but I agreed to her interview, but asked that they mention the Messenger in their story, since our local paper was out on the scene within seconds of the explosion.  She asked if I worked at the paper, and I explained the Mommy Blog, but that I wasn't a real-life reporter or anything.  She was gone quickly after that, and I began stressing of my 15 seconds of fame.  I told only Todd, who then went on to tell the free world, and then I had to admit to frinds that night I had been "on camera" that afternoon.  I finally put it behind me, but Tanner wanted me to watch it Saturday, which I did.  Ugh.  Nothing worse than seeing yourself on camera, and I was annoyed that the reporter got her facts a little mixed up by saying I worked for the Messenger and began "blogging about the incident immediately"-which wasn't true, but oh well-it's over.  I can rest easy knowing my 15 seconds are up, and I didn't run out in my pjs and rollers claiming we were ALL GONNA DIE...as one of my friends suggested I might should have done.  :)

No comments: